A Quick Tip On How To Register Your Record Label As A “Proper” Business

by Trevor T

Record Label Business RegistrationI’m going to write a quick post about the formation of record companies and protecting your label.

You may not be at this stage as yet, but, this information will be relevant to you in the future.

This is part of the reply I gave to one email I received regarding what is the simplest way to incorporate a label…

“..There are few ways to do this. If you just want to register your  company name you can go down to the appropriate office in your local county. Counties vary in their procedures as well as to how much they charge.

“Check in your local phone book under the listing for your local government offices. Often a business certificate is issued through  the county clerk’s office. Also, get an application for a business license, follow the instructions, fill in and pay the fee..”.

The above answer applies to the US. Similar for the UK, Canada and Australia, however, the rules differ slightly. And it is also the  more time consuming way to go about getting it done.

Use the resources below. They will have all the useful info you’ll  need. Plus, they can also incorperate your company up for you.

USA - Incorp.com
UK - UK-plc.net
Canada - Bdc-canada.com
Australia - Incorporator.com.au

Disclaimer: Please bare in mind, that you should also consult your accountant and lawyer regarding this matter.

If you would like to find out how to register you record label in a step by step way and more, click here to learn more.

Be Sociable, Share!
Tweet This Post, Please!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 the one compton July 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the continued words of wisdom and advice in my endeavours to get the label up and running.

Can you please give me an example 12 week timeline schedule, and what should really be included in the run up to a release based on this period?

I appreciate that major labels can do so much in as little as 6 weeks prior to release because of the huge blanket budgets they have at their disposal in comparison to the small independent label.

Thanks,

Compton

2 Trevor T July 14, 2009 at 3:58 am

Hey Compton, to be quite honest, I will be coming out with something that is quite in-depth to do with what you are asking about. But you have made me let the cat out of the bag!
Stay tuned and I’ll let you know when it’s ready. Hint: it should be is a few weeks.

3 marvin July 28, 2009 at 11:37 am

Hey Trevor.

Yep you let the cat out of the bag and im really looking forward to this information also!

Btw could you possibly get interviews or ‘how i started’ type articles from independant record label owners which go into some detail? Maybe even from label owners which have different genres? Like one from a hip hop label, dance label, etc.

thanks so much for all your information, i always check back for more.

4 Trevor T July 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Hey Marvin, I did two interviews with a couple of experts in the music industry. Both use to be in bands/labels, etc, but now help other labels. When i upload them, you have to remember and take note that I am not a professional interviewer, and at parts the audio gets a bit messed up – reason why I haven’t let them loose. However, the info is good with lots stuff you can use. I’ll also work on getting some interviews done with other artists. Stay on the look out for my email/post.

5 marvin August 14, 2009 at 9:41 am

:0) thanks so much!

6 Trevor T August 15, 2009 at 2:10 am

No problem. Let me know what else you want.

7 tory December 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm

hey Trevor my name is troy i’m trying to start my own independent record label i would like to know how/what is the first step to starting it

8 Trevor T December 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

Hi Troy,

Let’s assume you have some music to sell. I would say the first thing you would want to do is promotion. Get out there into as many different places/avenues as you can letting people hear and access your music.

You can hit up the usual places like twitter, facebook, etc. A critical step is to go out there in the real world to industry event and network!

9 Sbu duction November 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hi, am sbu from south africa, I want to know how to get sponsors since
I own a recording company!

10 JASON P April 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

IM ABUT TO GO LIVE WITH MY RECORD LABEL AND NOW I FIND JUST AS I AM ABOUT TO THE SAME NAME / I HAVE LOOKED EVERY PLACE TO FIND IT REGISTERED BUT IT IS NOT SO IF I AM TO GO A HEAD WITH THIS THEN WOULD I GET IN TROUBLE . THE NAME IS UNDER FIRE RECORDS AND IVE CHECKED IT AND LOOKED ON THE INK S ON HERE UK TRADING LIMITED AND NO THEIR IS NOT THAT NAME OR ON THE SEARCH I HAVE LOOKED FOR , I HAVE LOOKED ON IPO SEARCH AND NOTHING SO YOU THINK ITS SAFE TO GO A HEAD WITH THIS OR NOT